“Digital Nomads” Temporary Visa Regulation
We hereby inform that the National Council of Immigration published this past week the Normative Resolution No. 45, which regulates the issuance of the temporary visa and residence authorization for the so called “digital nomads”.
The letter of the law defines digital nomads as “the immigrant who, remotely and with the use of information and communication technologies, is able to carry out his work activities for a foreign employer”.
It should be noted, however, that this new Normative Resolution expressly prohibits the practice of work activities, carried out by the immigrant for an employer in Brazil or whose residence permit for the exercise of work activity is regulated in another normative of the National Council of Immigration.
There are also the following highlights:
· For the purpose of proving the status of “digital nomad”, relevant documents must be presented, including proof of means of subsistence in a monthly amount equal to or greater than USD 1,500.00 (one thousand five hundred dollars) or availability of bank funds in the minimum amount of USD 18,000.00 (eighteen thousand dollars);
· The activities provided for in the Normative Resolution may be carried out by the immigrant as a visitor, and the rules applicable to the period of stay and visa requirement must be observed, according to the nationality;
· The initial period of residence of the immigrant holding the temporary visa will be of up to 1 year, which may be renewed for an equal period, provided that the documents required by law are presented;
· The interested party who is in national territory may apply for a residence permit without having to leave the country;
· If any irregularity is found in the procedure, the process of canceling the residence permit will be initiated;
If you have any doubts related to this matter, please feel free to contact our team.